30 janvier 2019

NZ uni launches indigenous exchange program

By Anton Crace. A new program to increase the number of indigenous students studying abroad and connect them with the cultures of the first nations of their host countries has been established in New Zealand. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 14:46 - - Permalien [#]


16 janvier 2019

Aboriginal languages in Canada - Not all people who speak an Aboriginal language at home have an Aboriginal mother tongue

In 2011, almost 213,400 people reported speaking an Aboriginal language at home. While 82.2% of them reported that same Aboriginal language as their mother tongue, the other 17.8% reported a different language, such as English or French, as mother tongue.
Among the nearly 38,000 people who spoke an Aboriginal language at home and who reported a different language as mother tongue, 23.5% spoke it most often at home while the other 76.5% spoke it on a regular basis, in addition to the main home language.
The Cree languages (38.5%), Ojibway (14.8%), Inuktitut (7.1%), Oji-Cree (3.7%) and Mi'kmaq (3.5%) were the most reported home languages among the roughly 38,000 people who spoke an Aboriginal language at home but who reported a different language as a mother tongue.
Those aged 34 and under were more likely to report speaking an Aboriginal language at home that was different than their mother tongue. More specifically, it was more common among school-aged children (aged 5 to 14), who may have been learning an Aboriginal language as a second language at school. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:35 - - Permalien [#]

Aboriginal languages in Canada - Use of Aboriginal languages at home differs by where people live

In 2011, the proportion of people with an Aboriginal mother tongue who spoke their language at home differed based on where they lived. Specifically, people were more likely to speak their Aboriginal mother tongue at home when living in a census subdivision (CSD) with a high proportion of the population whose mother tongue was an Aboriginal language.
In CSDs with high proportions of people reporting an Aboriginal mother tongue, most people (96.8%) with an Aboriginal mother tongue spoke that language at home (86.5% most often and 10.3% on a regular basis) (Figure 3).
Conversely, people were less likely to speak their Aboriginal mother tongue at home in CSDs with low proportions of people reporting an Aboriginal mother tongue. In these CSDs, 63.0% of people with an Aboriginal mother tongue reported speaking their language at home (27.7% most often and 35.3% on a regular basis). More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:33 - - Permalien [#]

Aboriginal languages in Canada - About one in five people reporting an Aboriginal mother tongue live in Quebec

In 2011, of all people reporting an Aboriginal mother tongue in Canada, the highest proportions lived in Quebec (20.9%), Manitoba (17.7%) and Saskatchewan (16.0%) (Figure 1).
In Quebec, the Aboriginal languages most frequently reported as mother tongues were the Cree languages, Inuktitut, Innu/Montagnais and Atikamekw. The main Aboriginal mother tongues reported in Manitoba were the Cree languages, Ojibway and Oji-Cree. In Saskatchewan, the Cree languages and Dene were the most often reported languages. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:30 - - Permalien [#]

Aboriginal languages in Canada - Inuit and Athapaskan languages also frequently reported

The Inuit and the Athapaskan languages were the second (35,500) and third (20,700) language families with the largest populations in 2011.
Inuktitut (34,110) was by far the most frequently reported mother tongue within the Inuit language family. People with Inuktitut as their mother tongue lived mainly in Nunavut or Quebec.
Among the Athapaskan family, Dene (11,860) was most frequently reported as mother tongue. Nearly 71% of people who reported Dene as mother tongue lived in Saskatchewan.
The other nine Aboriginal language families accounted for about 6% of the population who reported an Aboriginal mother tongue. Five of these families (Salish, Tsimshian, Wakashan, Kutenai and Haida) were primarily found in British Columbia. This province is home to over 30 different Aboriginal mother tongues, most reported by less than 1,000 people each.
Michif, the traditional language of the Métis, was reported as mother tongue by 640 people living mainly in Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Alberta. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:25 - - Permalien [#]


Aboriginal languages in Canada - Largest Aboriginal language family is Algonquian

The Aboriginal language family with the largest number of people was Algonquian. A total of 144,015 people reported a mother tongue belonging to this language family (Table 1). The Algonquian languages most often reported in 2011 as mother tongues were the Cree languages (83,475), Ojibway (19,275), Innu/Montagnais (10,965) and Oji-Cree (10,180).
People reporting a mother tongue belonging to the Algonquian language family lived across Canada. For example, people with the Cree languages as their mother tongue lived mainly in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta or Quebec. Those with Ojibway or Oji-Cree mother tongues were mainly located in Ontario or Manitoba, while those whose mother tongue was Innu/Montagnais or Atikamekw (5,915) lived mostly in Quebec.
Also included in the Algonquian language family were people who reported Mi'kmaq (8,030) who lived mainly in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, and those who reported Blackfoot (3,250) as their mother tongue and who primarily lived in Alberta. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:23 - - Permalien [#]

23 décembre 2018

Interwoven approaches: indigenisation and internationalisation

One of the main obstacles Indigenous people face in the international arena is the lack of Indigenous curricula and practices in higher education. “Too often, education systems do not respect indigenous peoples’ diverse cultures. There are too few teachers who speak their languages and their schools often lack basic materials. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 17:38 - - Permalien [#]

18 décembre 2018

San Manuel tribe donates $1.28M to UC Riverside’s Native American student programs

University Business Magazine logoThe San Manuel Band of Mission Indians near Highland is giving UC Riverside a $1.28 million grant, partly to help fund its Gathering of the Tribes Summer Residential Program. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 22:03 - - Permalien [#]

17 décembre 2018

Financial empowerment is the road to success for Indigenous youth

The ConversationAs well, Indigenous entrepreneurship, in general, but especially for youth, has been on the rise since 2000. That business arena is growing at a rate that is six times faster than entrepreneurship among non-Indigenous people. Indigenous entrepreneurs tend to be about 10 years younger than their non-Indigenous peers. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 00:46 - - Permalien [#]

10 décembre 2018

Media Release: NTEU Lecture, Thursday 22 November 2018 at the University of Adelaide

The year 2018 marks the anniversary of two of the best known frontier massacres in Australia: the 180th anniversary of the Myall Creek massacre of 1838; and the 90th anniversary of the Coniston massacre of 1928. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 18:29 - - Permalien [#]