28 mai 2018

Okla. public colleges produce fewer graduates

University Business Magazine logoThousands of college graduates are poised to enter the workforce this spring armed with credentials they earned at Oklahoma's public colleges and universities. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 19:08 - - Permalien [#]


Quebec universities receive funding boost

Quebec province’s university network is getting a CA$1.5 billion (US$1.2 billion) funding boost over the next six years plus the power to set their own tuition fee rates for foreign students, and in the future, rectors and senior staff will no longer get some of the existing free perks, as Quebec tightens the screws on abusive spending, writes Philip Authier for the Montreal GazetteMore...

Posté par pcassuto à 15:37 - - Permalien [#]

New era of protest for historically black institutions

The campuses that served as incubators for the civil rights movement in the mid-20th century are experiencing something of a renaissance, with freshman enrolment up at 40% of the historically black colleges and universities, writes Maya Rhodan for TimeMore...

Posté par pcassuto à 15:33 - - Permalien [#]

States bypass Congress in battle to help hungry students

By Goldie Blumenstyk, The Chronicle of Higher Education. It’s difficult for college students to qualify for federal food-assistance benefits under current law, and the Farm Bill that was voted down by the United States House of Representatives this month would have made it even harder – for them and many others. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 15:12 - - Permalien [#]

Canadian deal promises turnaround for higher education

By Kudzai Mashininga. Zimbabwe’s Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development Ministry has sealed a US$5.2 billion coal-to-fuels deal with a Canadian investor that is set to benefit the higher education sector and the country in general. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 15:08 - - Permalien [#]


Fla. sued over ban on early voting on college campuses

University Business Magazine logoA Florida voting rights group and university students from two schools sued the state's chief election official on Monday over a 4-year-old edict banning the use of college buildings as early voting sites. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:20 - - Permalien [#]

Ore. denied financial aid to 2 out of every 3 eligible college students

University Business Magazine logoOregon gave need-based college scholarships to just 31 percent of students who were eligible for one in 2015, turning down the other 69 percent because it ran out of money. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 01:16 - - Permalien [#]

27 mai 2018

Predatory colleges, freed to fleece students

University Business Magazine logoTry as they might, the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress cannot disguise that they continue to do the bidding of the for-profit college industry, which has saddled working-class students — including veterans — with crushing debt while providing useless degrees, or no degrees at all. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 23:42 - - Permalien [#]

A new era of protest is energizing HBCUs. But there are challenges

University Business Magazine logoIt was a chilly Friday afternoon in early February, and a group of young activists huddled around a table inside a modern, earthy café in Atlanta’s West End neighborhood, planning their next moves. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 23:37 - - Permalien [#]

Here's how much you'll pay to go to Va. colleges next year

University Business Magazine logoThe average tuition and mandatory fees increase for Virginia undergraduate students at state schools was 5.4 percent last year, up from the 2016-17 average increase of 4.6 percent. More...

Posté par pcassuto à 23:36 - - Permalien [#]